We take your privacy seriously. This page sets out information in relation to data protection and how this practice operates. It should be read in conjunction with our Practice Privacy and Confidentiality Policy which is available on request.
What information do we collect about you?
When you attend or register with us as a patient, we collect the personal details specified in the patient registration form. With your prior knowledge and consent, we may request copies of your medical records from your previous GP. Your GP is also likely to receive updates from other health professionals involved in your treatment and care.
Why do we collect this information?
We collect this information to provide appropriate treatment and services to you as a patient, and to ensure your continuity of care and safety. We also collect information as required by law.
On what basis do we process this information?
Your personal information is mostly collected directly from you and processed by us with your knowledge and express consent. You may withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information at any time.
Sometimes, your personal information may be processed in accordance with the Coombe Family Practice’s legal obligations, e.g. mandatory reporting obligations in relation to infectious diseases. Where possible, your personal information will be anonymised beforehand.
Your personal information may need to be shared within the healthcare team and support staff in order to provide safe and effective care to you. Your personal information is only accessible by staff as necessary for the fulfilment of their legitimate employment and professional duties.
Who may we share your information with?
We may share your information with other healthcare professionals and third party service providers such as laboratories when it is necessary and appropriate for your treatment and care. We share such information strictly on the basis that it will be kept confidential.
How long do we keep hold of your information?
We retain records in accordance with the National Hospitals Office (NHO) Code of Practice for Healthcare Records Management which can be viewed at www.hse.ie.
Data Protection Officer
The Coombe Family Practice is part of the UCD School of Medicine. The Data Protection Officer for UCD can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Queries, concerns or requests can also be directed to the Practice Manager, Coombe Family Practice, 383 South Circular Road, Rialto, Dublin 8.
Under Data Protection legislation, you may:
- Withdraw consent to the processing of your personal information. [Note: If you withdraw consent, we may not be able to continue to provide treatment and services to you. We will talk to you about the possible consequences of withdrawing consent, if and when you let us know that you are thinking of this. The withdrawal of consent will not undermine the lawfulness of processing carried out prior to the withdrawal.]
- Request to access the information we hold about you
- Request the correction of inaccuracies in / erasure of information held about you
- Request the restriction of processing of the information we hold about you
- Exercise your entitlement to data portability
- Make a complaint to the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner of Ireland
The Coombe Family Practice reserves the right to amend this policy at any time, at its discretion. You are encouraged to review this policy from time to time. We will notify you of changes to this policy where we are required to do so.